Sunday, June 12, 2011

Time Management- Blog #1


Being a student, I often find that it is a challenge to remain active both in and outside of the classroom walls. As with any career, I’ve found that one’s aptitude for time management skills is extremely important. Having just finished my junior year of college at The Manhattan School of Music, I have seen my “free” time, if you will, steadily decrease from when I first moved to the city in the fall of 2008. Whereas I had many open hours during the day to do whatever during my first two years of school, that is no longer the case; thus the importance of good time management.

An idea that I came to realize quite soon after moving to New York, was that although Manhattan School of Music essentially had no campus (1 building), the entire city became my campus. With this concept in mind, I have always made it a habit to go out and see music and artists on a weekly basis. Another contemporary of mine made a great point that I reflect upon often, having said “Some people come to school and get all A’s and never step foot outside of the classroom.” Some people come to school don’t do as well in the class room , make great strides outside of school.” She would go on to explain that for most, the former of the two statements was the most common. Academics have always been something that I put high value on, and I am by no means endorsing slacking through school. What I am pushing is the importance of being able to balance a life in school, while making necessary outings to see music, network with other musicians, etc. I feel that many of my fellow classmates can often get so consumed with the classroom that they forget to take advantage of all of the great music, arts, and culture that New York City has to offer; myself included. I have established some of my closest musical relationships in the last three years with my peers at school and many outside of school. Knowing and playing with as many people as I can has helped me grow as a musician, person and has been a great way to let others know that I exist outside of the walls of school. I would encourage anyone to remember that one could very well be the next best thing since sliced bread, but if no one is aware of that, then it becomes considerably more difficult for one to accomplish what he/she desires. 

Until next time,
Adam Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment